My Sister

4:21 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
 It wasn't until April 18th, 2003 that I came to know my sister. I had however, spoken with her once on the phone during the last days of my mother's life.
 It was due to this so-called friend that my mother had, Magdalene, that my mom and sister even met. Magdalene was always butting in to things that were none of her business. This time, I will not only forgive her but honor her for the joy it ultimately brought my mother and myself.  Thank you Maggie, wherever you are!
 You see in my mother's last several months here, she had chosen not to share with me what was really happening to her. She was nearly homeless, living with out electricity, heat and often food. My sister, helped her with food, helped her with obtaining utilities, and brought her love, friendship and some joy with sis's grand children.
 My mother had just passed , myself, Shaun & the boys were left with the task of cleaning up. It saddens me to know that my mother, towards the end, thought so little of herself, that she had felt so hopeless and lost.
  I called my sister, when I mustered up the courage (a childhood thing that I am still working on), and shared of my mothers passing. After the first of many kind words, we then continued to talk briefly, before hanging up, she asked when were we headed back to my mothers place. She responded ok, we'll see you there.
 That day came and when we arrived, there was my sister, her husband, and grandson. We greeted each other and she gave me the biggest warmest hug! Which I will never forget.
 This family, worked side by side with us and another friend, for the better part of three longs days. Refusing to accept even the most modest of gifts in an attempt to share our appreciation.That last afternoon that we worked to finish cleaning up, her granddaughter had made me a card, which I treasure to this day. Which shared with me that I would always be her family. The sharing of this wonderful family hasn't stopped yet.
 Within the next several weeks, my sister led me to a place of healing, comfort and family, ironically to my roots of my heritage. She helped me walk when I felt so lost, in strange ways very alone, alone for that female connection that on a physical plane was gone.
 This family had only known my mother for a few short months, yet it felt like a lifetime. During my mother's memorial at a park she loved, I had only a few close family there; at first I was angry, then I was sad and one more time so alone. I was so happy when I turned to see my Sister and her family, comforted in ways that I don't think I can find the exact words to express. The memorial was small, short and sweet, I had learned much that I had not known about my mother and her love for myself and my children.
 It couldn't be because we were both to stubborn to hear the other one talk (smile)?
 Afterward, the kids and I took off our shoes, wading in the creek at the park, playing with the ducks.
It was there and then that I was adopted my this woman and her family, it was then that she announced to everyone there that I had lost a mother by gained a sister.
 Oh life isn't always smooth sailing within families (as if you didn't already know that), but she is there whether she is mad, sad or happy with me. Whenever I reach out, she is there.
 What I can share with her in return is my love, loyal, undying, unconditional love as she has shared with me.
 Sadly, it wasn't but 7 months later that she too lost her mother. I wasn't as helpful (at least I feel that way) as she was to me during my time of need, never the less, I tired hard.
 I strive everyday, to be available to her and family, to the best of by ability. She has become my biggest fan, my strongest promoter and one of my greatest teachers so-to-speak in this path of my life. It is with great difficulty that I resist the urge to put her on a pedestal.
 Adore her, admire her, love her, disagree with her,YES!  I hope to never put her on a pedestal.
 I love you Sis! Thank you!
  ldb

0 comments: