Sad Day Indeed

2:51 PM Edit This 0 Comments »
I unfortunately or fortunately, how ever you might want to say it. Just saw a story that really disturbed my soul. It was about an honor roll student who was hit in the head with a railroad tie, then once down, was repeatedly hit over and over again. Only to be hit one more time by the railroad tie.
Sadly no one would help, no one would come to his aide, sadly many did not display any emotion what so ever, someone continued to video tape it for our "supposed" viewing pleasure.
Sadly, very sadly the young man died.

The person reporting on this tragedy said, how could this happen in America?
I have an idea.
In the past decade we have bombarded our children with devices that disconnect us to human interaction. I know I have witnessed it myself. My son and many of his friends used to talk a lot to each other, until the new Iphone appeared on the scene. Now most of his friends hang out, occasionally looking at each other occasionally speaking a few words. What are they doing? They are busy texting each other and other friends. Most no longer interact by any other means.

Surprisingly, their are those strong enough to break this spell. They read, they talk and play games with their friends who have not been afforded these devices.
I guess this really hits home because recently, our oldest was home, his cell phone was only in his pocket when he wasn't at the house. The old neighborhood kids got together, they skateboarded, rode their bikes, played multi-player video games, listened to vinyl, and watched movies together. Shaun said to me,"You know the same sounds have been coming out of that room for the past 17 years". He continued, "it might be just as loud as it used to be". "I disagree", I said. "For now instead of of there being 8-10 kids in the room, now there were only 5 or 6 with deeper voices that carry much further".

I guess what I am saying is take time to go without those devices so that we don't become a country of sleep walking people.

0 comments: