Holiday verses Merry Christmas

11:23 AM Edit This 0 Comments »
I grew up knowing different cultures and religious beliefs, I just can not seem to get my head around the difference of wishing someone a Happy Holiday or A Merry Christmas.
 I did some digging in what I had remembered from having attend a christian school for several years, and what I thought I remembered I was mostly able to find in the modern dictionary. Holiday : a day of festivity or recreation when no work is done. The "y" changes into an "i" when the words became combined.
 From Wikipedia:
The word holiday comes from the Old English word hāligdæg (hālig "holy" + dæg "day").[1] The word originally referred only to special religious days.

It is really so different if I choose Happy Holiday?  For I may not know what your religious views are and today I am not one to cram my view onto other people. In the past I had and it only resulted in hurt feelings and angered people, that is when I learned to honor and respect other peoples views and beliefs more easily.

 Thinking back on my childhood my mother and grandfather (her father) always sent Holiday or Seasons Greetings cards because both had friends who were Jewish. In some ways this came easy to me.

 Just passing on how I see things, no intended offense meant either.

0 comments: